Conclusion on my project for Graphics Unit 111
For my front page, I decided to do a front, spine, and rear cover. The spine and the gray part of the rear cover are a direct copy of an edition of Computer Arts I have. The advert, including the name of the company, was made up by myself. The photo of the man holding the laptop was found on graphicstock.com. I designed the rest of the advert from scratch.
My Centre spread was originally going to be this one, but when I looked at it some more I realised I could put a little more design into it. I also wanted to remove the Breitling image as this is not referenced on the cover or in the text on this page. Although the original page that I based this design on was pure black I wanted to add something extra to show my understanding of the use of blend modes and also of the opacity slider, I also feel that going from modern looking neon letters to old wooden block letters reinforced the theme of the article. Also although the headline Typography is just one font, I wanted to make it interesting and decided to adjust the tracking of the individual letters and to almost create a logo from the font so I joined the T to the Y. Lastly to give the background more room to breath I used photoshop to cut out the old Hoover from its background.
With the Breitling image removed I wanted something suitable to fit in the space that it had left behind, so, to tie the piece in with the cover, I used the head graphic but re-edited it from the original to add a few typographical keywords, again using various selection tools in PS to cut out the head and then the type tool to add the text in the scribble bubbles
I then thought I would find a photo of a magazine rack and using the masking controls in PS I would insert my cover into the rack. I found the original image by doing a google search for “magazine rack”, and found the image from this address. Using Gaussian blur and the levels tool I tried to match the image with the other magazines slightly, not sure I was too successful, highlighting my lack of skill in some areas of Photoshop. Although the resultant image gives an idea of how my magazine would be seen on the high street.
During my research, I noted that Computer Arts was supplied in different formats, namely Digital and in paper form. To highlight this Future Publishing post a three part design on their webpage (click here). I thought I would recreate this graphic, the image of the tab and the smartphone was downloaded from graphicstock.com.
The image was compiled in PS using layers, duplication, and transform.
Once I had created a test layout I then populated it with random text and images to see how it would look.
Although I liked the layout above I wanted to emulate a spread from Computer Arts, I looked through a few editions and decided on this one for my center spread, though as explained above I have made some adjustments to it to better suit my project.
This is the template I created using the techniques I learned from the youtube video and following the design of the center spread from CA.
Once created it was just a matter of populating the template with relevant text and images.